There has been a multitude of other organisations set up
in Strathmore over its history. Some of these
organisations had only a short life, other persisted for
years and still exist today. I have little or no
information on these organisations. If anyone has any
information on these or other organisations please email me.
- Strathmore Symphony Orchestra (Not Functioning) -
Formed in 1965, they met in the Community Hall in Loeman
Street and also later in the Strathmore High School
Hall. They gave concerts both locally and across
Melbourne and in some "provincial cities". Formed the
Strathmore Choral Society (under its auspices) in 1973.
- Kindergartens -
A kindergarten was established in specially modified and
equipped Sunday School rooms of the Strathmore
Presbyterian Church (now Uniting Church) in 1949. It was
the first free kindergarten to be established in the
Shire of Broadmeadows. Closed in 2013.
A foundation stand for a new kindergarten at the
Strathmore Methodist church was laid in May 1954. Now
St Aidans Kindergarten - A new kindergarten building was
dedicated and blessed by the Archbishop of Melbourne Rt
Rev J J Booth in April 1956. It was built at a cost of
4500 pounds, using a Government grant of 2250 pounds.
(The kindergarten itself may have been operating before
A Kindergarten commenced operations in 1957 in the Strathmore Community Association
(SCA) Hall in Loeman Street. Broadmeadows Council set
aside a sum of 2250 pounds for the construction and
fitout of an amenities annex at the rear of the
Community Hall. The SCA formed an interim Kindergarten
Committee at a meeting held on 16/11/56.
- Strathmore Men's Club (Not Functioning)- Instrumental
in the establishment of the Strathmore Community
Association and for lobbying for other facilities such
as the Primary School for Strathmore.
- Strathmore Scouts - 1st Strathmore Scout Troop applied
to the City of Broadmeadows for the use of land on the
south side of "Balnanno Creek Reserve", facing
Glenbervie Road in May 1954.
- Strathmore Probus Clubs. Men's Club established in
1989, Ladies in 1992 and a Mixed Club in 1994. Sponsored
by Strathmore Gladstone Park Rotary Club.
- The Lodge of Strathmore No. 566 - Freemasons. In early
1944 Bill Dorward and J. B. Baglin recognised that a lot
of Freemasons had moved into the rapidly developing
Strathmore Area. Many of these Freemasons were either
unaffiliated or irregular attenders. A meeting was
organised with these Freemasons to canvas tha idea of
forming a local Lodge. The meeting was held in the Strathmore Presbyterian
Church Hall on the 21st of June 1944 and was
attended by over 50 Freemasons of whom sufficient
numbers declared themselves willing to become members of
the new Lodge. Finally a total of 47 Freemasons signed
the petition requesting the Grand Lodge to issue a
charter for a new Lodge to be known as "The Lodge of
Strathmore No. 566". In due course this was granted and
the new Lodge was consecrated 14th June 1945. Meetings
were held in Essendon Masonic Lodge Temple, Mt.
- Strathmore Progress Association - There have been two
organisations with the name Strathmore Progress
Association in Strathmore's History. The first was
instrumental in the set up of Strathmore Community
Association and it also agitated for the separation of
Strathmore from Broadmeadows. It was earlier known as
North Essendon and South Broadmeadows Progress
Association. Formed early 1930's.
The second Strathmore Progress Association was set up a
lot later. It also promoted the Annexation
of Strathmore to Essendon City Council. Strathmore
Progress Association (No. 2) also lobbied for the
closure of the Essendon Airport and landing and take-off
curfews in the meantime.
- Baby Health Centre, Corner Napier and Loeman Streets.
Opened late 1956. Demolished 2014 and site redeveloped
as additional two tennis courts.
- Long Day Care Centre, Max Johnston Reserve, Loeman
Strathmore Methodist Church was
located at the corner of Napier Street and Williamson
Avenue. The church was officially opened by Rev Eric H.
O. Nye on 25 February, 1951. The original church was was
an old wooden Methodist church building transported from
Macedon. At the time there were complaints from some
neighbouring residents about the use of this old timber
building in Strathmore. Foundation stone of the
Kindergarten Hall laid in May 1954 by Rev Dr. Clifford
Wright. New church built 1957/58. Opened and dedicated
by the President of the Methodist Conference, Rev.
Norman Elliott on the 10th of May, 1958. The new
building cost 11,000 pounds to construct. After the
Methodist Church joined the Uniting Church the site
ceased to operate as a church and was eventually sold
and operated as a photography studio. The church
buildings were later demolished for construction of a
St Aidan's Church of England -
First established in October, 1947. A new kindergarten
building was built circa 1955/56 at a cost of 4500
pounds (using a 2250 pound Government Grant) though I
have a report that the kindergarten was operating in
1953 and perhaps earlier. The new kindergarten building
was opened and blessed by the Archbishop of Melbourne,
Rt. Rev. J.J. Booth. The foundation stone of the new
church building was laid on the 20th March 1960. The
building was dedicated and opened by Bishop D.L. Redding
on 4th of March 1961.The new church was designed by Mr.
P Garside and replaced a hall that was built 13 years
St Aidan's became a Parish in its own right on 2nd May
1961 after the induction of Rev. Patrick E.D. Gason by
the Archbishop of Essendon, Rev. R.W. Dann. The Parish
included the Chapel of Ease at 3 Esmale Street,
- Strathmore Church of Christ. Located in Loch Crescent.
Church building now demolished.
The Glenbervie Baptist Church was officially opened by
Mr. J.C. Thompson, President of the Baptist Union. The
site of the church had previously been occupied for 30
years by a shop. The Pastor was Rev. E.B. Bond and Mr.
Brownbill was the Church Secretary.
Glenbervie Baptist Church merged with Essendon Baptist
Church in 2001 to form Essendon Baptist Community
Church. Now meets at the Essendon Baptist site in
Buckley St, Essendon.
The Church building has been converted to housing (2005
- 2006), with only the very front section of the
original structure remaining.