Community History



Home Page
History Home Page

Residential Subdivision

Part of the section between Carnarvon Road and Bulla Road area was subdivided in 1925 and sold as the Wood Estate. Other Estates in this area included the Lincoln Road Terminus Estate which included Dublin , Balmoral, Windsor and Holyrood Avenues. It was named Lincoln Road Terminus as Lincoln Road was the end of the tram line at that time. (At that stage Carnarvon Rd. was still called Lincoln Road.)

                          of Essendon Advertisement

The "Essence of Essendon" Estate was the biggest residential subdivision in central Strathmore. It covered the area bounded by Napier St, Upland Road, Pascoe Vale Road and approximately Hood St (now Tullamarine Freeway). This was subdivided in 1923 however it was many years before it was completely sold.

Magdala Estate covering the area previously owned by Theodore Napier, was put up for sale in 1925. It included Glenbervie, Balmanno, Bruce, Nobel, Magdala and Merchiston Streets and contained 50 allotments. Theodore Napier's original "Magdala" house site, a two acre block now containing Hewitt Court, was subdivided in 1947.

Rosebank Estate, consisting of 75 blocks adjacent to Woodland Street was offered for sale in 1927.

Grammar Estate was sold in 1940. This was the area of Wickham Grove. The area had been set aside out of the Essence of Essendon Estate for the proposed Melbourne Church of England Grammar School which of course did not eventuate. (This explains the number of school related street names, e.g. Grammar, Head, Collegian, found in that central Strathmore area).

GlenView farm which covered part of the Essence of Essendon Estate was owned by Salmon and used as a Stud Sheep farm.

Strathmore Heightst

Strathmore Heights was developed after 1960 by Strathmore Heights Proprietary Limited, a company promoted by Bruce Small who had made his fortune from Malvern Star bicycles. Bruce Small had also owned "Gowanbrae", north of Strathmore Heights since 1945 at least.




See also photos of Napier Street 1 and the Napier Street Shops - 2 and 3.