Strathmore

Community History

logo




 

Home Page
History Home Page

Wannaeue

Now demolished. This house was located at the corner of Peck Avenue and Pascoe Vale Road, where the Red Rooster Fast Food Restaurant now stands. The house was built by John Peck one of the co founders of Cobb and Co. who also built the house "Lebanon" further up the hill in Strathmore. Some sources state that the house was built in the 1870 however Ray Gibb is of the opinion that the House was built later, probably circa 1888, arguing that Peck did not even own the land on which the house was built nor paid rates to Broadmeadows Shire in the 1870. Ray Gibb further states that Peck built the house "as a wedding present for Peck's daughter, Minnie Waters Peck, who married William Allison Blair Jnr".

The house was bought by Albert Cook, the long-serving secretary of the Shire of Broadmeadows at the time the old shire hall in the old Broadmeadows Township (now Westmeadows) was replaced by the new offices near the Broadmeadows Railway Station in 1928. For many years the house was widely known as Cook's Cottage.

Wannaeue is also the name of a parish on the Mornington Peninsula. Only one definition of Wannaeue has been found. It, like other nearby parish names on the Mornington Peninsula (Moorooduc, Tyabb, Kangerong and Balnarring) as well as the locality name Tootgarook, would have come from Boon-wurrung descriptions of those areas. It is thought that "Wannaeue" is an Boon-wurrung Aboriginal word interpreted as meaning "reedy waters".